What are the benefits to working with a search firm?
Finding a new position can be stressful. Search firms have the ability to save you time and effort while increasing your chances of obtaining a rewarding position. Once you have been accepted as a candidate, we send your profile to schools with openings that match your qualifications and communicate with administrators on your behalf.
Schools frequently list positions confidentially with search firms. Confidential openings are not available through internet listings, newspaper advertisements, or other public means. We have the ability to send your profile to schools with confidential openings.
Why should I apply to be a CalWest candidate?
- Personalized service. Each candidate is assigned a Recruiting Advisor to provide guidance throughout the search process. Recruiting Advisors are current or retired school administrators with vast knowledge of the private and independent school communities. We also have a Candidate Team available to provide interview support and school visit preparation.
- Regional expertise. Because we specialize in placing educators regionally, we have the ability to focus our attention on the schools and candidates that we serve.
- Strong relationships. We have established relationships with many administrators at top schools. When we recommend a candidate for a position, administrators trust that the candidate is highly qualified. Our team is able to follow up with schools regularly to highlight individual candidate qualifications and advocate on your behalf.
What is the process to become a candidate?
Once you send your resume, we assess whether we have openings that match your qualifications and preferences. If we have positions, you will be asked to create a candidate profile. Our team reviews every prospective candidate’s resume and supporting materials to provide personalized tips for revisions that help you stand out. We ask that you incorporate our feedback into your materials before your profile is sent to schools. Additionally, every prospective candidate is required to interview with a Recruiting Advisor before acceptance.
Why do schools prefer to use CalWest instead of recruiting people directly?
Many schools prefer that we recruit, screen, and hold initial interviews with candidates for them. This saves school administrators valuable time and effort. Because we have strong relationships with our partner schools, administrators trust that CalWest candidates are high caliber and have been prescreened to match each school’s specific criteria.
What schools partner with CalWest?
Our services are available to all independent, private, and charter schools in the western United States. We currently work with over eight hundred schools in our region.
When do private and independent schools do most of their hiring?
The peak hiring season is January through June. Leadership and Administrative positions are often filled by April or May while teaching positions may continue to be filled during the summer.
Do I need to have a California teaching credential?
- At the elementary level, lead teachers generally need to hold a Multiple Subject credential, either from California or from another state.
- At the secondary level, schools usually hire middle and high school teachers based on their degrees in relevant subject areas and previous work experience. Having a credential would be considered an additional qualification, but is generally not required.
- California charter school regulations require that teachers hold, or are in the process of obtaining, a California credential. Teachers with credentials from other states can seek recognition or pass additional steps to receive a California credential. Visit the website of the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing at www.ctc.ca.gov for more information.
I do not want my employer to know that I am looking for a new job. Can you conduct a confidential search on my behalf?
Yes! When your search is confidential, your CalWest file is marked in a way that indicates that preference. We inform schools that they should not contact your current employer without talking to us first. At some point during your search, you will need to tell your current employer that you are seeking a new position. When that time comes, we can support you through the process and offer guidance on how to approach the topic.
Can I search for a position on my own while working with CalWest?
Check with us before applying to private, independent, and charter schools within our region.
Can CalWest help me if I require sponsorship from an employer?
Our partner schools generally do not provide sponsorship for candidates searching with a firm. If you require sponsorship from an employer, we suggest conducting a search on your own.
Who pays your fees?
Schools pay the placement fee after a candidate is hired. Most have budgeted funds specifically for professional placement services. Candidates pay an initial $45 processing fee upon acceptance. This payment includes material reviews and an interview with a Recruiting Advisor.
How can I apply?
To apply for the current or upcoming school year, fill out our pre-application form here. If selected to move forward in the application process, you will receive notification to start your online profile. If you are not contacted for the current or upcoming hiring season, you are welcome to reapply for future seasons.